The pepper is optional but good to add in, it compliments the other spices! Plan ahead the dough needs to chill for a minimum of 2 hours before baking or up to 24 hours, the dough may also be frozen if desired.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (you can add in up to 1/2 teaspoon for more of a kick!) (optional)
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 -3 teaspoons maple extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts (optional) or 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (optional)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease baking sheet/s.
- In a bowl combine the flour with next 7 ingredients.
- In another bow beat together 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter with brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add in eggs; beat until combined.
- Add in the flour mixture and the oats; mix until just combined.
- Mix in chopped nuts (if using).
- Chill the dough for a minimum of 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking/cookie sheet (leave enough room between each cookie as these will spread while baking).
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Cool in pan for 3 minutes then remove with a spatula to wire racks to cool.