Prep 3 mins
Cook 3 mins
Cravings can be a good thing. I was craving something sweet, savory and nutty. I had something similar once, and I just took a chance on flavors that I knew worked well together. Great on salad with dried cranberries and feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 1 cup shelled pecans
- 1 teaspoon garam masala or 1 teaspoon indian curry powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- In a non-stick skillet, melt the margarine.
- Turn heat to low.
- Add the spices and mix gently until they start to smell lightly toasted.
- Add nuts and stir to coat.
- Add salt and stir to mix inches.
- Add sugar and stir until melted.
- Continue tossing the nuts in the margarine/spice mixture for another minute, or until you can smell a toasted pecan aroma.
- Turn onto a cookie sheet or plate to cool. You probably won't be able to wait long before you eat these gems!
These are so good in a salad, I tried your cranberry and feta cheese but included some chunks of grilled chicken breast, drizzled it with honey mustard dressing. OH SO YUMMY. Thanks for sharing.
These were very good, both as a snack and on a salad with dried cranberries and feta as you suggested. I used curry powder and couldn't resist an extra pinch of cayenne. I'd probably add a tad more brown sugar next time, but they were delicious as is. (Just a note about serving them as a snack: For me, the Smart Balance left them pretty oily the day I made them, which meant that they were a little messy to pick up (especially since the oil was colored by the spices), but they were more finger friendly the next day.) Thanks for posting!