Recipe by Derf
The hazelnuts can be replaced with chopped almonds or walnuts and multi-coloured glace cherries and mixed peel instead of cranberries. We prefer the cranberries and hazelnuts. Freezes well and is nice to have available over the holiday season.
Top Review by Karen=^..^=
11/17/02: This little cake is quite addictive. The cranberries all rose to the top and made for a pretty presentation. I used walnuts and the combination was great. I don't know if it is an error, but the ratio of sugar to flour seemed weird. I ended up with a small cake dense that had almost a crispy, candy like edge that was extremely tasty. So, even if it is a typo, it worked for me :) These cakes would be lovely wrapped it colored plastic wrap and some ribbons for the holiday. P.S. I needed about 10 more minutes for baking. 12/09/03: I wanted to update this review with more info. Everyone loves this cake, so I decided to have a go at doubling it. I used a small lasagna dish (about 11 x 7) and baked for 1 hour and 25 minutes. Came out just as good as baking in the loaf pan, but more to go around! Also, I realized I was out of ginger, so as a last minute sub, I used a couple dashes of pumpkin pie spice. I also used a little extra nutmeg to compensate. Thanks for this recipe, which is now a holiday tradition in our house!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together the dry ingredients and make a hole in the centre.
- Stir in the orange juice, butter, water and egg.
- Beat together until all the flour is incorporated.
- Stir in the cranberries and nuts.
- Grease and line a 9 x 5 loaf tin.
- Spoon in the mixture and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove from tin, peel off the paper and dust with icing sugar.
- Slice and serve warm or cold with butter or cream cheese.