Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Dairy free, Low carbohydrate, Low fat, Low GI, Low sugar. These are great wrapped up in tortillas or chapatis with sour cream. From the food coach.
- 500 g button mushrooms, whole
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- Place mushrooms into a large ceramic, glass or plastic bowl.
- Combine two thirds of oil, cardamom, pepper, nutmeg, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a small jug.
- Pour mixture over mushrooms and toss well to coat mushrooms in mixture.
- Set aside to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat a wok over high heat until hot.
- Add remaining oil and mushrooms and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden and just tender.
- Serve hot.
These were easy and tasted okay, but we thought they were missing something. Perhaps a little chili powder or something with some heat. I used baby portabellos. I served them as side, but perhaps with sour cream in a wrap would be better. I may try them again and experiment with the spices.
These just weren't what I was expecting. They seemed to stay very dry (even after adding some liquid to it while it was cooking.) The final product had an okay flavor (to me; my DH did not like) but the texture of all the many spices coating the mushrooms was almost grainy. Served these as a side dish but probably will go another route next time. Sorry.
Quick, easy, light and tasty! I used swiss brown mushrooms, serving them in warm chapatis with sour cream. Will make again.