Recipe by English_Rose
The salad can be made up to an hour ahead and chilled. Keep the dressing separately at room temperature, then drizzle it over just before serving.
- 1 tablespoon harissa, paste
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus 1 tsp for frying
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped, plus a handful of whole leaves
- 8 mint leaves, finely chopped
- black pepper
- 4 ounces whole blanched almonds
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts
- 6 scallions, trimmed, halved widthways and sliced into thin shreds
- 4 ounces kalamata olives
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the harissa, the 5 tablespoons of olive oil and the lime juice in a small bowl, using a small wire whisk. Stir in the chopped cilantro, mint and a grinding of pepper. Taste and adjust to your taste, adding a little more lime or harissa if wished.
- Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil in a heavy-based pan, add the almonds and fry until golden, shaking the pan occasionally so they are evenly coloured. Tip onto kitchen paper to drain, season and set aside.
- Cut the Romaine into chunky slices, stopping about a third from the top (separate that top third into leaves. Put the lettuce into a large bowl and scatter over the almonds, scallions, olives and remaining cilantro leaves. Give the dressing a quick whisk then drizzle over the salad.