No country was given for this recipe but I found it in a listing of Ramadan recipes.
Make and share this Spiced Milk Tea : Masala Chai recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups liquid milk
- 2 cups water
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons dried tea leaves (Assam is recommended)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon masala, spice
- 1⁄2 cup ground ginger
- 1⁄8 cup clove
- 1⁄3 cup whole black peppercorn
- 3 tablespoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg, around 1/4 piece
- 2 tablespoons green cardamom pods
- Put all the masala mixture ingredients in a spice mill or blender and grind well. You will only use a pinch of this mixture, the remaining can be stored in an airtight jar.
- 2. Pour the milk and 2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- 3. Add in the sugar, tea leaves and masala. Stir until the mixture turns dark (8 minutes).
- 4. Remove from heat, strain into cups and serve hot.
This is lovely Anna, I can't wait to make it again. I really enjoyed the wonderful spices in this hot treat. I used 1% milk and wildflower honey to round it off. Made exactly as written, wouldn't change a thing. Quick, easy and oh so tasty. Thank you for sharing another delightful beverage.
First, be sure to use fresh milk to make this. No amount of spice masking will
hide not-so-fresh milk! I used all the spices listed and subbed a small piece of cinnamon stick for ground. For the sugar-local wildflower honey. Next time I'll try coconut milk for fun. This was perfect on a cool, nippy early morning! Reviewed for NA*ME tag/September.
It's perfect. I keep the jar of spices next to the stove, lol. Made for NA/ME Tag 2/2013.