Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an unusual combination, but suspend your doubts long enough to try it. Serve at room temperature for best flavor.
- 1⁄2 ripe cantaloupe, diced into very small chunks
- 1⁄2 cup lentils
- 1⁄4 cup minced red pepper
- 1 scallion, minced (including green part)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good-quality olive oil
- salt, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- Rinse lentils well. Cook over medium heat, with enough water to cover by at least an inch, until boiling. Then reduce heat to a simmer, and continue to cook until lentils are tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Drain lentils and let cool.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl, mix very gently to combine.
- Serve at room temperature.
This sounds like such an odd combination, but it works. Delicious! I followed the recipe exactly. While the lentils were simmering, I prepared the rest of the ingredients. Once the lentils had cooled off I added them to the fruit mixture and sprinkled on a pinch of salt and a couple of dashes of cayenne.
I was skeptical, because lentils and cantaloupe really seemed like an odd combination, but this is DELICIOUS... I've made it two days in a row because I love it so much.