Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is really yummy. It can be used as a stuffing for mini pumpkins or tomatoes. I served it over some plain brown rice with mango chutney. It does make lots of leftovers and is pretty good cold the next day.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large saucepan, heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until golden.
- Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and spices. Add lentils and broth.
- Cover and cook until lentils are tender. Drain if needed.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
All I could taste was tomato and sugar. My spices are fresh, some of them ground just for this recipe, but they just couldn't stand up to the sweet. Nobody at my house would eat it.
this was amazing! I am always very hesitant when adding cinnamon to something that should be savory...but the reviews made me think twice. These were perfect. I personally would add more pepper in the end, I still like spicy, but overall the flavor was superb. I served it over brown rice cooked with veggie broth. YUM!
Love it. Spicy but not too spicy, and very flavorful. Not to mention, very healthy. I will be making this one again!