Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Hearty vegan soup with subtle apple flavour... mmm!
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Rinse dried lentils and simmer in water for 1 hour or less until tender, depending on the size of the lentil. Alternatively, used canned lentils and skip this step (but still rinse them).
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan and sautée garlic, onion, carrot, and celery with dried spices until tender.
- Add parsley, cilantro, lentils, and water and bring to a boil, simmer partially covered for one hour.
- Purée 3/4 of the batch in a blender, or just use a potato masher right in the pot.
- Return soup to pot, heat and serve :).