Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
This is a really thick comforting lentil and tomato soup with a bit of added interest. Great way to use up the veg left in the fridge at the end of the week. The tomatoes can be soft and not the freshest but need to be tasty.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 4 medium onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons nigella seeds (black onion)
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon dried chili
- 1 pint chicken stock
- Cut tomatoes in half, peel and halve onions, halve peppers and deseed and take off stalk.
- Place above into roasting tray and place slices of garlic onto each piece of vegetable, sprinkle with olive and salt.
- Roast in medium oven for 30 - 40 mins until vegetables are slightly browned and tomatoes are very soft.
- Meanwhile sweat diced onion and celery in butter in a heavy pan for 5 minutes.
- Add nigella seeds, chilli pepper and cardamon, stir well and add chicken stock, then add lentils.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered.
- When roasted vegetables are ready add contents of the roasting pan with juices to the soup pan and stir well.
- Simmer for 20 mins then season to taste with fresh black pepper and salt.
- Blend with a stick blender or in a processor, soup should retain a rough consistency but not big lumps.Add more water if necessary and reheat.
- Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil on top.
Absolutely exquisite soup! The flavours are lovely and fresh - roasting the vegetables mellows out the veg very nicely, and the nigella seed is a wonderful addition! I used Mock Chicken Stock, as I'm a vegetarian, and it was excellent. Thanks for sharing this beautiful recipe! Made for Zaar Newest Tag.
I can understand why this made it into someone's best of 2009 cookbook, it was super! The roasted vegetables lend such a punch of flavor to it. I subbed cumin and mustard seeds for the nigella and used much less chili. The temperature is missing from step 3, so I roasted at 375 (I think 425 might have been better though). Yum!
Let me just say WOW! This recipe is phenomenal and makes a lot! I am sure we got 8 or 9 servings easily out of it. I made this with Potato Wedges With Roasted Garlic Dip and it was a perfect complete meal. I didn't add nigella seed as I didn't have them but I did use Spanish olive oil. And made everything else the same. I will most definitely make this again. Thanks! Made for ZWT5 - Jammin Java Jivers