Recipe by lindseylcw
This is a really thick comforting lentil and tomato soup with a bit of added interest. Great way to use up the veg left in the fridge at the end of the week. The tomatoes can be soft and not the freshest but need to be tasty.
Top Review by Katzen
Absolutely exquisite soup! The flavours are lovely and fresh - roasting the vegetables mellows out the veg very nicely, and the nigella seed is a wonderful addition! I used recipe #359988, as I'm a vegetarian, and it was excellent. Thanks for sharing this beautiful recipe! Made for Zaar Newest Tag.
- 6 large tomatoes
- 4 medium onions
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons nigella seeds (black onion)
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon dried chili
- 1 pint chicken stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tomatoes in half, peel and halve onions, halve peppers and deseed and take off stalk.
- Place above into roasting tray and place slices of garlic onto each piece of vegetable, sprinkle with olive and salt.
- Roast in medium oven for 30 - 40 mins until vegetables are slightly browned and tomatoes are very soft.
- Meanwhile sweat diced onion and celery in butter in a heavy pan for 5 minutes.
- Add nigella seeds, chilli pepper and cardamon, stir well and add chicken stock, then add lentils.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered.
- When roasted vegetables are ready add contents of the roasting pan with juices to the soup pan and stir well.
- Simmer for 20 mins then season to taste with fresh black pepper and salt.
- Blend with a stick blender or in a processor, soup should retain a rough consistency but not big lumps.Add more water if necessary and reheat.
- Serve with a drizzle of good olive oil on top.