Recipe by Annacia
A wonderful fragrant Indian-inspired side dish. Serve it with all things chicken.
Top Review by I'mPat
I only made the 1 cup of rice which was plenty for 3 of us and even had a serve left over which I will freeze for later. I put 1 1/2 cups of hot water in and it only took about 18 minutes to be fully absorbed, also I did not have any cashews so used roasted macadamia nuts which I chopped up but it was a delicious side enjoyed by us all. Thank you Annacia, made for Everyday A Holiday tag game.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds (black, brown, or yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresno chilies or 1 red jalapeno chile, cut into thin rings, seeded if desired
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 pieces lemon peel plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 x 1-inch strips, yellow part only)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and turmeric and cook, shaking pan, until mustard seeds pop, 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and chile and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat, add lemon peel, salt, and 3 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Cover and let stand off heat for 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in cashews.