Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A wonderful fragrant Indian-inspired side dish. Serve it with all things chicken.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds (black, brown, or yellow)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresno chilies or 1 red jalapeno chile, cut into thin rings, seeded if desired
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 pieces lemon peel plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 x 1-inch strips, yellow part only)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add mustard seeds and turmeric and cook, shaking pan, until mustard seeds pop, 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion, garlic, and chile and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- Add rice and stir to coat, add lemon peel, salt, and 3 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Cover and let stand off heat for 15 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in cashews.
I only made the 1 cup of rice which was plenty for 3 of us and even had a serve left over which I will freeze for later. I put 1 1/2 cups of hot water in and it only took about 18 minutes to be fully absorbed, also I did not have any cashews so used roasted macadamia nuts which I chopped up but it was a delicious side enjoyed by us all. Thank you Annacia, made for Everyday A Holiday tag game.
We really liked the flavours in this dish. The mustard seeds add an extra touch both in terms of flavour and prettiness. Makes the dish stand out.
This dish was more than welcome for my family.
The brigt yellow color and the lemon taste make of this dish a royal sidedish.
Highly recommende for any curry!