1/2 Photos of Spiced Lemon Rice
A wonderful fragrant Indian-inspired side dish. Serve it with all things chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds (black, brown, or yellow)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 fresno chilies or 1 red jalapeno chile, cut into thin rings, seeded if desired
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 pieces lemon peel plus 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (2 x 1-inch strips, yellow part only)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup roasted cashews
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add mustard seeds and turmeric and cook, shaking pan, until mustard seeds pop, 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add onion, garlic, and chile and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 7 minutes.
- 4Add rice and stir to coat, add lemon peel, salt, and 3 cups water; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until rice is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- 6Stir in lemon juice. Cover and let stand off heat for 15 minutes.
- 7Fluff with a fork and stir in cashews.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Lemon Rice
Serving Size: 1 (100 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.5
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1279.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh lemon juice