Prep 25 mins
Cook 5 mins
Cracked allspice and sprigs of rosemary are steeped in hot water before blending with lemon and lime juice. Serve an hour after putting it together or leave to intensify for 24 hours.Enjoy!
- 2 cups water
- 8 rosemary sprigs (6-inch)
- 3 tablespoons whole allspice, coarsely cracked
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 7 cups cold water
- 2 lemons or 2 limes, sliced or cubed (optional)
- ice cube
- In a medium saucepan combine the water, the rosemary, and the allspice.
- Bring to boiling.
- Remove from heat.
- Cover and let stand for 1 hour or until cool.
- Remove two of the rosemary sprigs; wrap, and chill to use later for garnishing the pitcher.
- Strain liquid through a fine sieve, discarding solids.
- Stir sugar into strained liquid until dissolved.
- Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- To serve, in large pitcher combine herb-spice liquid, lemon and lime juices, and cold water.
- Float lemon and/or lime slices and reserved rosemary sprigs in pitcher.
- Serve in tall glasses over ice.
- Makes seven 12-ounce servings.
- Note: cook time is just the time it takes to boil the water, it may vary.
Thanks so much Sharon for sharing another winner. This spiced and herbed citus ade is absolutely lovely, with a subtle blending of flavours. Just what I needed to help chase away my flu. I didn't have any whole allspice, so I used a tsp of ground allspice and strained it after heating. It worked well. I will definitely be making this again often.
Yum - what a fantastic, refreshing drink! Love the allspice and rosemary flavours throughout this. And I totally recommend it if you have the sniffles or a cold. I added my sugar while the water was still warm so it would dissolve quicker. Next time I will double the amount and before adding the second amount of water I will freeze the concentrated juice in blocks so I can have the juice on hand ready to mix with water for a quick, healthy drink. Thanks Sharon for another winner!