2 hrs 30 mins
Chef #704339's Note:
Good Weekend, 23 July 2005
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil (mild)
- 3 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium brown onions, finely diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1 (1 1/2-2 kg) boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 6cm pieces
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 -3 liters chicken stock or 2 -3 liters water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons harissa
- 1 cup green olives, pitted and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, julienned
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- couscous (to serve)
- 1In a saucepan large enough to hold the lamb, heat a good splash of olive oil, add the vegetables and garlic and cook overlow heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until completely soft but not brown.
- 2Add the mixed spices to the vegetables and increase the heat to medium and stir for 2 minutes.
- 3Add the lamb, tomatoes, bay leaves, thyme and enough stock/water to cover the lamb.
- 4Bring to the boil, skim the surface of any fat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently for 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
- 5Skim the fat from the surface again, then add the honey, harissa, olives and preserved lemon.
- 6Season to taste with salt and pepper, then transfer to a tagine dish for serving.
- 7Scatter the herbs generously over the top and serve immediately, with steamed couscous on the side.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Lamb Tagine With Preserved Lemon and Green Olives
Serving Size: 1 (634 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 652.0
- Calories from Fat 395
- Total Fat 43.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.3 g
- Cholesterol 142.6 mg
- Sodium 512.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 13.2 g
- Protein 39.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: