Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Real Simple April 2006
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 lamb loin chops (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled into strips
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 15 fresh mint leaves (whole or torn)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine 1/4 cup of the oil, the fennel seeds, cumin, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Add the lamb chops and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Before cooking, let the chops stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Scrape the fennel seeds off the chops.
- Add 4 of the chops to the skillet. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chops.
- Roast until the chops are the desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare.
- Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet, place over medium heat, and add the remaining oil.
- Add the carrots and chickpeas and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, mint, and the remaining salt and toss.
- Divide the chops and chickpeas among individual plates.