Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple everyday vegetable. Adjust the spices to your taste
Make and share this Spiced Indian Cabbage recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 -2 green chili
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 dash asafetida powder
- Heat the oil.
- Add the cumin and mustard seeds.
- Add the asafoetida powder.
- Add ginger, garlic, chillies and onions.
- Cook till the onions are a little soft.
- Add the cabbage.
- Add salt and turmeric powder.
- Cook till the consistency which you like your cabbage to be cooked. *I cook about 5 minutes because I like my cabbage crunchy.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Serve with Indian bread.
- I have these variations which I use depending on what I am in the mood for
- 1. Add chopped tomato along with the onions.
- 2. Add boiled, diced potatoes.
- 3. Add grated fresh coconut or dry coconut with the cabbage.
This is probably the best thing I have ever made. I tasted a bit at the end just to see if it needed anything and ended up consuming most it while it was still cooking. I doubled up on all the spices. I used some of the leftover cabbage in an omelet and it was great.
simple and tasty!! i subbed onion powder for the asafetida, and it worked out just fine! had to add a touch of water for cabbage to cook down. was very tasty! you can also add cauliflower, broccoili, etc for variations!
Oooh, this was SO good and so like my favorite place for Indian lunch near our home. I could eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner... easily. A perfect balance of flavors. My only changes were in the pepper department; I used 1/2 a jalapeno and 4 Japanese chiles. PERFECT! Thank you for posting this, Sana... it's now in my ~Encore~ cookbook!