Recipe by chia
from bon appetit, takes the chill out of shoveling.
Top Review by Kree
This is a warm and comforting drink! It's so thick and rich, and just inhaling the aroma of the spices made me feel very relaxed. I used soy milk and didn't have any cardamom pods so I used 1/2 tsp ground. I think next time I'd use slightly less. I can't wait to to make this next Winter to take away the chill!
- 6 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 15 cardamom pods, crushed
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 whole star anise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- bring the first 9 ingredients to a simmer in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- remove from heat and let the flavors blend for 20 minutes.
- add cocoa powder and vanilla, return to a simmer, whisking until blended.
- pour into 6 cups, over a strainer.
- discard spices.