Prep 5 mins
Cook 26 mins
from bon appetit, takes the chill out of shoveling.
- 6 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 15 cardamom pods, crushed
- 12 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 whole star anise
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- bring the first 9 ingredients to a simmer in a large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- remove from heat and let the flavors blend for 20 minutes.
- add cocoa powder and vanilla, return to a simmer, whisking until blended.
- pour into 6 cups, over a strainer.
- discard spices.
This is a warm and comforting drink! It's so thick and rich, and just inhaling the aroma of the spices made me feel very relaxed. I used soy milk and didn't have any cardamom pods so I used 1/2 tsp ground. I think next time I'd use slightly less. I can't wait to to make this next Winter to take away the chill!
Wonderful chocolate. I adore the anise flavor in this. I used half the ask for coriander and that gave me a very pleasant light taste of it. I omitted the red pepper flakes because I was hoping that DH would have some (he didn't but thats ok, more for me!). I should mention too that I used Splenda Brown Sugar and Dutch cocoa. This in delightful chia, thanks for posting it.