Adapted from a recipe in Better Homes & Gardens Meals for 1 or 2. Sorry, made this last night and it tasted like something was missing and I realized it was the cinnamon. It was in the directions, but I accidentally left it out of the ingredients list. It's been updated now.
- 29.58 ml dark brown sugar (or more, to taste)
- 29.58 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed or 1.23 ml ground cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 1.23 ml orange zest, grated (or a couple drops of orange oil)
- 0.25 ml salt
- 59.14 ml water
- 414.03 ml milk
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- nutmeg (to garnish)
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, orange zest, and salt.
- Blend in water and heat to boiling.
- Boil gently for 1 minute.
- Mix in milk and vanilla and heat almost to boiling, but do NOT allow to boil.
- Remove whole spices, then beat with a mixer until frothy.
- Pour into mugs, garnish if desired, and serve hot.
The entire family enjoyed this very much! Made for ZWT3.
Easy to make and yummy! I used low-fat milk to make this guilt-free. Particularly liked the cardamom flavor and the combination of spices was just delicious. A definite keeper! Thank you so much for sharing.
I really enjoyed this spicy hot chocolate, the combination of spices was excellant. It was delicious and exotic tasting, hot, sweet, spicy, smooth and thick, with just a hint of orange and vanilla, quick and easy to make. Just perfect, thanks so much for sharing.