Recipe by littleturtle
Adapted from a recipe in Better Homes & Gardens Meals for 1 or 2. Sorry, made this last night and it tasted like something was missing and I realized it was the cinnamon. It was in the directions, but I accidentally left it out of the ingredients list. It's been updated now.
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cardamom pods, crushed or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon orange zest, grated (or a couple drops of orange oil)
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- nutmeg (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, orange zest, and salt.
- Blend in water and heat to boiling.
- Boil gently for 1 minute.
- Mix in milk and vanilla and heat almost to boiling, but do NOT allow to boil.
- Remove whole spices, then beat with a mixer until frothy.
- Pour into mugs, garnish if desired, and serve hot.