Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Middle eastern dish with cinnamon & allspice. Great with roasted meat. Note: You can use 1 packet of sugar subsitute instead of sugar but the editor doesn't like the term packet.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large skillet (approximately 12 inch) with lid, ,heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until soft and lightly golden, approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the green beans, salt and black pepper, and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the onions are caramelized and the beans start to soften and brown lightly, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, allspice and cinnamon.
- Stir well, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender throughout, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
I added mint and roasted pine nuts, but no sugar. Came out nicely.