Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A sweetly delicious preserve from the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. While this recipe is written in an old-fashioned way, it is perfectly safe if processed using modern methods. If you are unfamiliar with these techniques, please go to http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html for the current information.
- 5 lbs ripe gooseberries
- 4 lbs brown sugar
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons allspice
- Wash gooseberries and pick over.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Cook slowly until mixture becomes rather thick.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.