Healthy, Low-Calorie, Lowfat, Low-carb, Flavorful, Vibrant soup. I decided to try to make a Healthy Vegetarian option soup that would be light and refreshing for the Summer. The ingredients in green curry paste were a perfect spicy match for green vegetables. Most soups like this would have coconut cream in them but I didn't want the calories and it is wonderful without it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml coconut oil or 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 small zucchini, chopped (9-10oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 9.85-14.78 ml green curry paste (adjust to taste, it's spicy hot!)
- 4.92 ml ground ginger
- 1419.54 ml water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (use vegetable for Vegetarian) or 2 chicken bouillon cubes (use vegetable for Vegetarian)
- 22.18 ml lime zest
- 14.79 ml honey
- 473.18 ml frozen chopped spinach
- 118.29 ml cilantro, stems and leaves chopped
- 473.18 ml frozen peas
- 425.24 g can garbanzo beans (optional)
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced please use fresh not canned (for all green use green tomatoes or tomatillos)
- 59.14 ml fresh lime juice
- 4-6 oranges, juiced (1 1/2 cups juice)
- 118.29 ml cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, greens and whites sliced
Optional Colorful Garnishes
- fresh tomato, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- green onion, chopped
- purple cabbage, sliced thinly (adds crunch)
- carrot, shredded (adds crunch)
- lime, sliced in wheels
Optional items to serve with
- 1Heat oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and saute for 10 minutes until softened.
- 2Add zucchini, garlic, chili paste, and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- 3Add water, bouillon, lime zest, and honey and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4Stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cilantro, heat through and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.
- 5Stir in peas and garbanzo beans and heat through. Remove from heat.
- 6Stir in fresh tomatoes, lime juice, orange juice, 1/2 cup cilantro and green onions.
- 7Serve hot, warm or chilled.
- 8* If you're craving creaminess add a dollop of nonfat yogurt or stir it into the soup. If you would like it thicker, puree some peas or garbanzo beans into it. This would be great with grilled chicken breast or shrimp too. To make it heartier you could also add corn and serve it over cooked brown rice. You could also go all green and use green tomatoes or tomatillos.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Garden Green Soup
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 139.8
- Calories from Fat 37
- Total Fat 4.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 85.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 14.0 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green curry paste
vegetable bouillon cubes