Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Healthy, Low-Calorie, Lowfat, Low-carb, Flavorful, Vibrant soup. I decided to try to make a Healthy Vegetarian option soup that would be light and refreshing for the Summer. The ingredients in green curry paste were a perfect spicy match for green vegetables. Most soups like this would have coconut cream in them but I didn't want the calories and it is wonderful without it.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 small zucchini, chopped (9-10oz)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 -3 teaspoons green curry paste (adjust to taste, it's spicy hot!)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes (use vegetable for Vegetarian) or 2 chicken bouillon cubes (use vegetable for Vegetarian)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, stems and leaves chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans (optional)
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, diced please use fresh not canned (for all green use green tomatoes or tomatillos)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 -6 oranges, juiced (1 1/2 cups juice)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, greens and whites sliced
Optional Colorful Garnishes
- fresh tomato, diced
- cilantro, chopped
- green onion, chopped
- purple cabbage, sliced thinly (adds crunch)
- carrot, shredded (adds crunch)
- lime, sliced in wheels
Optional items to serve with
- cooked brown rice
- nonfat yogurt
- cooked chicken breast
- cooked shrimp
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and saute for 10 minutes until softened.
- Add zucchini, garlic, chili paste, and ginger and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, lime zest, and honey and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and 1/2 cup cilantro, heat through and puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender.
- Stir in peas and garbanzo beans and heat through. Remove from heat.
- Stir in fresh tomatoes, lime juice, orange juice, 1/2 cup cilantro and green onions.
- Serve hot, warm or chilled.
- * If you're craving creaminess add a dollop of nonfat yogurt or stir it into the soup. If you would like it thicker, puree some peas or garbanzo beans into it. This would be great with grilled chicken breast or shrimp too. To make it heartier you could also add corn and serve it over cooked brown rice. You could also go all green and use green tomatoes or tomatillos.