Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a lovely hot fruit salad for a winter's meal. Make sure you have the ricotta, otherwise it's too sweet. You can use any type of port or sweet wine I think, I've used part port part marsala and it was fine. Cook time does not include chill time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups muscat wine
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 small carambolas, sliced
- 6 fresh dates, seeded, halved
- 7 dried figs, halved
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla bean
- 5 cardamom pods, bruised
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lime juice
- 2 tablespoons shelled pistachios, chopped
- 200 g low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- Combine muscat, juices and sugar in a large pan, stir over heat without boiling until sugar dissolves. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered without stirring for about 15 minutes or until mixture is thickened slightly.
- Add carambola, dates, dried fruits, cinnamon, split vanilla bean, cardamom and rind to syrup, Simmer uncovered without stirring 10 minutes or until fruit is tender. Cool syrup, cover, refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. DIscard cinnamon sticks, cardamom and vanilla bean, Serve with ricotta cream and crushed pistachios.
- Ricotta cream-.Beat cheese, icing sugar and cinnamon in small bowl with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in milk.
VERY, VERY NICE DESSERT, THIS! I was a little intimidated with 3-4 ingredients that I don't normally have on hand, but it all actually came together without too much trouble, & taste of this compote is ABSOLUTELY GREAT! And, thanks, much, for the side recipe for the ricotta cream ~ I'm sure that will go well with other desserts, as well! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Make My Recipe]