Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Good diabetic spread
Make and share this Spiced Fruit Butter (from Equal) recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and core or pit fruit.
- Combine prepared fruit, fruit juice and spices in dutch oven.
- Bring to boiling, cover and simmer until very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree in batches in blender or food processor.
- Return to dutch oven.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat until desired consistency, stirring frequently (This may take up to 1 hour).
- Remove from heat, stir in Equal Spoonful.
- Transfer to freezer containers or jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Store up to 2 weeks in refrigerator or up to 3 months in freezer.
- Very nice spread over any kind of chop after turning and for all the traditional things a fruit butter is used on.
- Canadian Diabetes Association food choice value: 1 tablespoon= 1++ 60% calorie reduction from traditional recipe.
Ooooooo Dorothy! This is delish! And perfect for this time of year (Autum). I actually omitted the "Equal" because I don't like the consequences of Asparteme (It causes memory loss, and many problems with the brain, like M.S.), but you know what? It was fantastic without it. The natural sugar from the apples and the apple juice made it sweet enough. It was so fantastic, in fact, that I am going to give away the other 5 jars as early Holiday gifts for my friends. I wouldn't be surprised if come here after tasting this and flooding this recipe with rave reviews even though they didn't make it. (I will tell them where I got the recipe. I always give credit, where credit is due) Thanks for the great recipe Dorothy.