Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Almost utterly changed from a recipe in "Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home". The recipe originated in the "Chronicles" trilogy, by M. Weis and T. Hickman. The original recipe made by fans called for only cayenne. A recent book mentioned a garlic scent. This version is GOOD. I loved it. Everyone who entered the house loved the smell. I used about 2 tbsp jar garlic, and estimated amounts on the other spices. This does take a good while to fry, so if you use it in a meal, make it first. In my experience, with a 1.5" layer of potatoes, it takes a bit more than half an hour to fry them. It takes much longer to fry them if you don't boil first. I also tend to use quite a bit of pepper, usually a mix of cayenne and habanero. The servings depend on how good they smell. I can eat the whole recipe with no problem, though they are an excellent side dish. Please don't forget to adjust the spices to your taste. Especially the garlic.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter (margarine works, or vegetable oil for a totally vegetarian dish)
- 1 -4 clove garlic, minced (to taste- I use a lot)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (or any other spices you like)
- cayenne pepper
- Boil the potatoes for about 30 minutes, let cool.
- Cut into 1/2" cubes (or larger- I like to leave the skin on).
- Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, at least 12", cast iron if you have it.
- Add 1/4 of the potatoes, the spices, then the rest of the potatoes.
- Turn them periodically, and fry til golden brown.
- While the potatoes are frying, chop up the onion fairly small.
- When the potatoes are done, add the onions and fry 10 minutes more.
I came here looking for this exact recipie. I am readng the Dragon Lance Chronicles and it talks about these Spiced Potatoes all thru the book. I can't believe I have found this recipie here. I will enjoy these potatoes as I read the rest of the book tonight.
WOW ... these are so flavorful. Love the seasoning. I followed the recipe exactly and love the taste, but mine came out quite "smooshy". I love the flavor, but I think next time I will try to just fry without boiling or not boil as long and make sure they are way cool before frying. These made good left overs for the next two days -- I even ate them as a meal for lunch with tortillas. YUMMY and THANKS for sharing ... your recipe was concise and easy ... please share more.
Very delicious potatoes. I served this with some pork chops. The potatoes were completely covered with spices, which made me very happy since I love lots of spice and flavor. Thanks for the yummy side dish recipe!