1 hr 10 mins
Gary Helriegel1's Note:
Almost utterly changed from a recipe in "Leaves from the Inn of the Last Home". The recipe originated in the "Chronicles" trilogy, by M. Weis and T. Hickman. The original recipe made by fans called for only cayenne. A recent book mentioned a garlic scent. This version is GOOD. I loved it. Everyone who entered the house loved the smell. I used about 2 tbsp jar garlic, and estimated amounts on the other spices. This does take a good while to fry, so if you use it in a meal, make it first. In my experience, with a 1.5" layer of potatoes, it takes a bit more than half an hour to fry them. It takes much longer to fry them if you don't boil first. I also tend to use quite a bit of pepper, usually a mix of cayenne and habanero. The servings depend on how good they smell. I can eat the whole recipe with no problem, though they are an excellent side dish. Please don't forget to adjust the spices to your taste. Especially the garlic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter (margarine works, or vegetable oil for a totally vegetarian dish)
- 1 -4 clove garlic, minced (to taste- I use a lot)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon sage (or any other spices you like)
- cayenne pepper
- 1Boil the potatoes for about 30 minutes, let cool.
- 2Cut into 1/2" cubes (or larger- I like to leave the skin on).
- 3Melt the butter in a heavy skillet, at least 12", cast iron if you have it.
- 4Add 1/4 of the potatoes, the spices, then the rest of the potatoes.
- 5Turn them periodically, and fry til golden brown.
- 6While the potatoes are frying, chop up the onion fairly small.
- 7When the potatoes are done, add the onions and fry 10 minutes more.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Fried Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1502.6
- Calories from Fat 837
- Total Fat 93.0 g
- Saturated Fat 58.5 g
- Cholesterol 244.0 mg
- Sodium 707.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 156.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 19.1 g