Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great for potlucks and family gatherings! From the Oregonian Newspaper FoodDay section.
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick; divided)
- 6 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped (about 4 pounds)
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 cups cubed peasant bread or 5 cups Italian bread, with crusts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
- In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, 1 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, salt and remaining 3 tablespoons butter.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add bread cubes; stir until bread is well-coated.
- In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup hot bread mixture into egg.
- Gradually stir egg-coated bread into remaining bread mixture.
- Spoon into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.