Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sweet, flavourful and - most important - tender and moist: in my humble opinion the best gluten free muffins out there! The streusel topping is great but not necessary. Yield: 2.5 - 3 dozen muffins
- 4 cups gluten-free rice flour mix
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 6 cups blueberries
- 1 cup soymilk (or vanilla almond milk)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Formula for Brown Rice Flour Mix: 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch (NOT flour), 1/3 cup tapioca starch/flour, Yield: 3 cups.
- 1.) Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2.) Spray muffin pan (or muffin liners) with cooking spray.
- 3.) Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add blueberries; stir to coat evenly.
- 4.) In another bowl, combine milk and oil; remove 1 Tb. of combined liquid and discard it. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- 5.) Add liquids to blueberry mixture and stir until just blended.
- 6.) Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. (Optional: Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar or streusel topping.)
- 7.) Bake 18-20 minutes until lightly golden.
- Streusel Topping (Note: these muffins have great flavour and don’t need the fancy toppings). ½ cup brown rice flour mix,1/3 cup brown sugar, ½ teaspoons cinnamon, ¼ teaspoons xanthan gum, 3 Tb. butter or margarine melted.
- Combine dry ingredients; stir to blend. Pour in butter and stir until all dry ingredients are moistened.
Directions are very confusing when it comes to using flours when you are new to this. Why not just write what flours to use instead of saying use 4 cups rice flour?<br/>However, the muffins are tasty and moist compared to others I've tried.<br/>they are not much to look at. I will try this recipe again and I will shape the batter better next time.