Prep 10 mins
Cook 72 hrs 25 mins
My mother has been making these spiced figs for 30 years. Made with the cinnamon and cloves you will not be able to eat plain figs again, they are too boring.
- 1⁄2 cup baking soda
- 3 quarts figs
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Sprinkle soda over figs, pour boiling water over figs and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix syrup ingredients.
- Lemon chunks may be added (I don't use).
- Whole Ginger may be used also (I don't use).
- Bring to boil, add figs and boil for 10 minutes.
- Boil figs in syrup 10 minutes for 3 days.
- On 3rd day can in sterilized jars.
- Note: for 12 quarts of figs, use 10 pounds of sugar.
I made just as written. Was really good.
I cut the sugar in half but still only got about 4 quarts (possibly because each day I had to "sample" some. These are delicious and well worth the 3 day wait. Instead of allspice berries I used ground allspice and added a little ground cinnamon. Easy to make but extremely hard to resist !! mmmmm good