- 1⁄2 cup baking soda
- 3 quarts figs
- 2 quarts boiling water
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice berry
- 4 cinnamon sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle soda over figs, pour boiling water over figs and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix syrup ingredients.
- Lemon chunks may be added (I don't use).
- Whole Ginger may be used also (I don't use).
- Bring to boil, add figs and boil for 10 minutes.
- Boil figs in syrup 10 minutes for 3 days.
- On 3rd day can in sterilized jars.
- Note: for 12 quarts of figs, use 10 pounds of sugar.