Recipe by Elly in Canada
A fig preserve with a little added spice! Cinnamon, cloves, lemon and fresh ginger.
Top Review by oswell1119
Absolutely AMAZING!! I will crave this year round! Outstanding on crackers....thank you SO much for sharing this. Its going in my recipe file for my son when he is off and married (of course he's only 10 now)! ;-)
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced, seeded (unpeeled)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh ripe figs, halved (about 4 cups)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 inches cinnamon sticks
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely chop lemon in processor. Add figs.
- Using on/off switch, process until figs are coarsely pureed.
- Transfer mixture to heavy large saucepan. Add sugar, cinnamon stick, minced ginger and ground cloves.
- Simmer until mixture thickens to jam consistency and candy thermometer registers 200°F, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, discard cinnamon stick.
- Divide hot preserves among hot clean jars. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to 2 months.
- This is great for holiday gifts. Excellent served with crackers and cheese, and can also be served with meats, especially pork and ham.