Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick and healthy hybrid of eggplant baba ganoush and hummus, with fava beans and spices! It was made on a whim because I only had one small-ish eggplant and wanted to stretch it into an entire meal. If you like garlic, spicy food and Middle Eastern flavors, give this a try! I love hummus and baba ganoush, but think this hybrid may be even better! *** I invented this recipe, so all ingredients are approximate. Feel free to adjust to taste or experiment.** . Note: Canned and dried fava beans may be found in the ethnic section of a large supermarket, or in Middle Eastern/Mediterranean groceries. This recipe probably works fine with chickpeas, but fava beans gave it a different flavor and smoother texture.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can fava beans, drained
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup tahini (or to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup lemon juice (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon za'atar spice mix
- 2 -4 garlic cloves
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Wash the eggplant, cut off the stem and prick all over with a fork. Place in a lightly heated glass dish, and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, or until the skin is wrinkled and blistered, and the eggplant "deflates" slightly (it may also be grilled, if desired). It should be very soft when poked with a fork. Remove from the oven and let sit until cool.
- Peel skin off the eggplant and discard, roughly chop the pulp and place in a food processor or chopper. Chop the eggplant until smooth, but not liquified. Add the drained fava beans, garlic, dried chili pepper, olive oil, all the spices and about half the tahini and lemon juice.
- Process until smooth, taste and adjust the tahini, lemon juice, and spices if needed.
- Serve with pita wedges, vegetable crudites, chips, or on its own! It would be fine at room temperature, but I like it best when it's been heated up a bit in the microwave and is a bit warm. It tastes much better the day after, too!