1/2 Photos of Spiced Elizabethan Pork and Fruit Casserole
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
French Tart's Note:
The use of spices and fruit in savoury recipes during the Elizabethan era was very popular, especially with the upper classes and the Royal court. This is based on a genuine Elizabethan recipe, which I have adapted for modern day cooking! I have included potatoes - which made their first appearance in Great Britain during this period, and were a novelty! Serve with steamed greens and assorted root vegetables. N.B. Oven temperatures were not given in my original posting of this recipe, but they have been added now! Also, the finely chopped herbs added at the end, gives the casserole a very "fresh" herby taste and a lovely colour - they MUST be very finely chopped however, and must NOT include the stalks, just the leaves - with the exception of the parsley.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 700 g boned pork legs, cubed
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- fresh ground black pepper
- 300 ml red wine
- 1 tablespoon british honey
- 75 g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped herbs (rosemary, parsley & thyme)
- 1Heat the oil and gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- 2Toss the meat in the flour combined with the spices and seasoning and add to the onion.
- 3Fry the meat, stirring occasionally until evenly browned.
- 4Stir in the red wine with the honey and continue to cook over a medium heat, stirring for a further minute.
- 5Add the dates and potato chunks and transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- 6Cover and cook for 2-2 1/2 hours or until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
- 7Just before serving stir in the fresh herbs.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Elizabethan Pork and Fruit Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (504 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 767.6
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.9 mg
- Sodium 99.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 19.7 g
- Protein 35.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: