Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
A favorite appetizer, a staple at weddings and other celebrations.
- 1 kg eggplant
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- harissa, for serving (see separate recipe)
- From each eggplant, cut out 3 vertical strips of skin, leaving it with a striped effect.
- Slice the eggplant into 1/2" (1 cm) thick slices, salt and let drain in a colander for 1/2 hour.
- Rinse well and squeeze gently.
- Pat dry using paper toweling.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and fry the slices, several at a time, until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper toweling and then mash the eggplant, garlic and spices together.
- Return this mixture to the skillet and fry until all of the liquid evaporates and only oil and vegetables remain.
- Stir often during cooking.
- Pour off the oil and season with the lemon juice.
- Correct the seasoning with salt to taste and let come to room temperature.
- Serve with the harissa sauce.
Yummy! I have been making a very similar recipe for a while, except mine calls for mayonnaise as well. The few simple changes this one has really made a difference. And the omission of the mayo makes it so much healthier--I don't even miss it! I served this with roasted garlic ciabatta stix (heaven) and Recipe #181208.