Fancy shmancy, but very easy to make. Very MiddleEastern/Mediterranean! You can serve it as a fruity appetizer or as a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bottle light-bodied red wine, like beaujolais
- 8 medjool dates
- 16 whole almonds, skin on,lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, dry or fresh
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 two inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/4 lb mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- sea salt, for serving
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the wine to a simmer.
- 2Add the dates and poach until the skins blister.
- 3With a slotted spoon, lift out the dates and, while warm, remove and discard the skins.
- 4Cut open the dates on one long side, remove the pits and place two almonds in the center of each date.
- 5Fold closed.
- 6To the wine, add the honey, peppercorns, cloves, orange zest, allspice, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.
- 7Continue simmering until the wine is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- 8Strain wine into a clean saucepan.
- 9Add the dates to the wine and heat gently, over a medium low heat, until warmed through, but not hot, then remove from heat.
- 10To serve, place a dollop of mascarpone in the center of each of four plates.
- 11Spoon two dates and a little wine sauce on each plate, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Dates With Mascarpone Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 53.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: