Fancy shmancy, but very easy to make. Very MiddleEastern/Mediterranean! You can serve it as a fruity appetizer or as a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bottle light-bodied red wine, like beaujolais
- 8 medjool dates
- 16 whole almonds, skin on,lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon clove
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest, dry or fresh
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 two inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/4 lb mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- sea salt, for serving
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the wine to a simmer.
- 2Add the dates and poach until the skins blister.
- 3With a slotted spoon, lift out the dates and, while warm, remove and discard the skins.
- 4Cut open the dates on one long side, remove the pits and place two almonds in the center of each date.
- 5Fold closed.
- 6To the wine, add the honey, peppercorns, cloves, orange zest, allspice, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.
- 7Continue simmering until the wine is reduced by half, about 20 minutes.
- 8Strain wine into a clean saucepan.
- 9Add the dates to the wine and heat gently, over a medium low heat, until warmed through, but not hot, then remove from heat.
- 10To serve, place a dollop of mascarpone in the center of each of four plates.
- 11Spoon two dates and a little wine sauce on each plate, sprinkle lightly with sea salt and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Dates With Mascarpone Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 766.0
- Calories from Fat 46
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 53.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 32.1 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: