1/1 Photo of Spiced Date & Nut Scones
Walnuts and dates make an appealing combination in these light and tender pastries. (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates, packed
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain soymilk or 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Lightly oil a baking sheet or mist with with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- 3Place the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, cardamom, and salt in a large mixing bowl and stir them with a wire whisk until well combined.
- 4Stir in the dates and walnuts, making sure that the date pieces are coated with flour and do not stick together.
- 5Place the flaxseeds in a dry blender and grind them into a powder.
- 6Add the water and blend until a gummy mixture is achieved, about 30 seconds.
- 7Add the milk, oil, maple syrup, and vanilla and process until frothy and well-blended, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- 8Pour into the flour mixture and mix just until everything is evenly moistened.
- 9Using a 1/3 cup measure per scone,drop the batter in dollops onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between dollops.
- 10(you may need to scoop out the batter from the measuring cup with a spoon, rubber spatula, or your fingers.) Flatten the scones slightly into irregular shapes about 3 inches in diameter.
- 11Combine the sugar with the cinnamon in a small bowl.
- 12Sprinkle the mixture generously over the top of the scones.
- 13Bake on the center shelf of the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 14With a spatula, transfer the scones to a cooling rack.
- 15Serve hot or warm.
- 16Cool leftovers completely before storing in an airtight container in the refriderator for future use.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spiced Date & Nut Scones
Serving Size: 1 (1015 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 269.2
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 243.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 17.2 g
- Protein 5.7 g