Prep 1 hr
Cook 17 mins
National Festival of Breads Finalist, Nikki Norman, Milton, TN.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 (3/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon peel
- 2 large eggs
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened (not light cream cheese)
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk or 2 -3 tablespoons heavy cream
- sweetened dried cranberries and sliced almonds (optional)
- In a small saucepan, over medium-low heat, combine sour cream, sugar, salt, and butter. Cook, stirring frequently, until mixture is warmed and butter is melted. Remove from heat and let cool to 105 degrees F.
- In the meantime, combine yeast and warm water in a small bowl. Stir until dissolved and set aside.
- In large mixer bowl, add cooled (105 degrees F) sour cream mixture. Stir in yeast mixture. On low speed add lemon peel and eggs, one at a time. Add 4 cups flour and cinnamon; mix 2 minutes on low speed. Cover bowl; refrigerate dough overnight or at least 12 hours.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. To prepare filling, beat cream cheese, lemon juice, sugar, egg, salt, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Divide dough into 4 portions. On lightly-floured surface, roll out each portion into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Cut each rectangle in half lengthwise.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over rectangles, leaving 1/2 inch on edges free of mixture for ease in sealing edges. Sprinkle cranberries and crystallized ginger over each rectangle. Starting with 12-inch side, roll up (jelly-roll fashion) tightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Twist two rolls together. Pinch ends; turn under and pinch to seal. Place two Danish on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Immediately bake Danish 14 to 17 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and place on wire rack. Repeat for remaining Danish.
- While Danish is cooling on rack for 15 minutes, prepare glaze. In small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, butter, lemon extract, salt, and milk; beat until smooth. Place a dollop of glaze on each warm Danish and spread with a small spatula. If desired, garnish with dried cranberries and almonds. Serve warm or at room temperature.