Recipe by Norahs Girl
A classic winter dish with added spice for an extra kick!
Top Review by mollypaul
This had a very nice flavor. Cut back on the cumin by half, sprinkled cheese (as suggested by another reviewer) and crispy fried onions on the top of the mashed potatoes for a little added zing. The main comment we had was that it was a little light on the meat and felt like it would have been superb with more than one pound of ground beef (probably double).
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 2 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut into even-sized chunks
- 1 ounce butter (I often add 2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped or 2 chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pan; add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in minced beef, turn up heat to brown meat.
- Add cumin, flour and coriander; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and puree; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock and season.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and let simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whilst meat is simmering away, make the chilie mash.
- Place potatoes into a pot of cold salted water. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and place back in pot. Mash over a low heat with the butter, hot milk, chilies and coriander.
- Season to taste.
- Spoon meat into an oven proof dish,spread Potato mix over.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling hot.