Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A classic winter dish with added spice for an extra kick!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot
- 2 celery ribs, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lb minced beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled, cut into even-sized chunks
- 1 ounce butter (I often add 2 oz)
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- 2 red chilies, finely chopped or 2 chili powder
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- Heat oil in a large pan; add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in minced beef, turn up heat to brown meat.
- Add cumin, flour and coriander; cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and puree; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock and season.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and let simmer for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile whilst meat is simmering away, make the chilie mash.
- Place potatoes into a pot of cold salted water. Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and place back in pot. Mash over a low heat with the butter, hot milk, chilies and coriander.
- Season to taste.
- Spoon meat into an oven proof dish,spread Potato mix over.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbling hot.
This had a very nice flavor. Cut back on the cumin by half, sprinkled cheese (as suggested by another reviewer) and crispy fried onions on the top of the mashed potatoes for a little added zing. The main comment we had was that it was a little light on the meat and felt like it would have been superb with more than one pound of ground beef (probably double).
Brilliant. My kids and my hubby loved it. Rather than put chillies in the mash and add cheese I used a mexican cheese with chillies in it. Chopped that up small (it won't shred because of the chilli pieces) and mixed it into the hot mash.
This is absolutely delicious!! The only thing i did differently was add cheese to the potato topping, I made it twice in a row per my familys request!