Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
I am really trying to watch my sugar intake, but find myself craving something sweet, so threw this together in a pot and it did the job. I really think they are sweet enough without adding any sugar. Sometimes if I feel like being bad, I will put them on pancakes (pancakes not so good for you ;-( ) I leave the skins on the apples as I like them a bit rustic and not totally resembling baby food. I make a bigger batch, keep it in the fridge and heat up a bowl when I want something sweet and warm. Almost like apple pie!
- 6 large apples (I used Mutsu or Crispin)
- 1 cup water
- 6 whole cloves or 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Leaving the skins on the apples cut them up in chunks.
- Combine all ingredients in a pot and cook for 15-20 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally until the apples reach a consistency you desire. Done!
- Serve warm or cold, by themselves in a bowl or on top of ice cream, pancakes, waffles --.
- Once cooled, store in the fridge or even freeze in smaller batches. Enjoy!