Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a vegetarian cookbook in the late 70s
Make and share this Spiced Coffee Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup sour milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix all dry ingredients together, blend shorting into all dry ingredients (After mixing take out a 3/4 of a cup for topping).
- Add egg, molasses, milk and baking soda to the remainder of the ingredients.
- Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Pour into square pan
- The 3/4 cup of ingredients that you kept out, crumble on top.
- Bake 30 to 40 minute at 350°F.