Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
An unusual combination of ingredients that make an addictive snack mix.
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa nibs (available at Whole Foods) (optional)
- 4 cups raw nuts (use a combination of pecans, walnuts, almonds or cashews)
- 4 cups small pretzels
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spread nuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast for 8-10 minutes.
- While nuts are toasting, mix together the butter, brown sugar, syrup, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper in a large heatproof mixing bowl. If the mixture cools and sets up before the nuts are toasted, warm over low heat.
- Remove nuts from the oven and stir into the melted butter-spice mixture. Add the cocoa nibs and stir until well coated. Mix in the pretzels and spread in an even layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with the sea salt or kosher salt.
- Bake for 12 minutes, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet. Store in an airtight container until ready to serve.