Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Making your own spiced and toasted nuts is absurdly easy, and they're great to eat. This quantity makes a generous bagful, or you could fill two or three smaller, clear bags, tying them with ribbon or string. Quantities can easily be doubled or tripled but if you do, use a larger frying pan so the nuts toast evenly.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chili, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 9 ounces mixed nuts
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Crush the cumin, coriander seeds and chilies using a pestle and mortar. Stir in the celery salt, pepper and sugar.
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan, add the seed mix and heat for 1 minute. Add the nuts and stir over a gentle heat for a couple of minutes until they are coated in the spices and are starting to turn golden.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and leave to cool.
- Pack into cellophane bags or small jars.