This is a lovely cake, not too sweet but moist and chocolatey. The combination of cinnamon and chocolate is particularly popular in Mexican cooking, but it makes a very interesting cake as well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Line 2 nine-inch round cake pans with parchment paper, and grease the sides of the pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Beat together the oil and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Blend in the vanilla and the applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
- Bake in the preheated 350°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack.
- Remove from the pans; cool on rack. Ice with frosting as desired.