Recipe by bake_a_holic
Using a slow cooker makes it easy to prepare this chili. But also tastes great made on the stovetop.
Top Review by berry271
Nice to come home to on a Sunday afternoon. I typically also make rice in my smaller slow cooker to serve this over. Makes a nice big batch which means leftovers, which I love. I found this recipe in my Taste of Home Cookbook. They credit it to Julie Brent. I often substitute white or black beans for the kidney beans because of our diet. Choose a good tomato sauce as it does play a big part in the flavor, in spite of all the spices added. Spiced Chili is a good name for it, although it is not what I would call "spicy" just flavorful, which makes sense as the chili powder is really the only traditional chili spice in this recipe. I usually use diced tomatoes instead of the stewed (personal preference) and skip the Italian seasoning as I don't keep it on hand and the recipe already calls for basil, garlic, and oregano. I also sometimes skip the marjoram as I don't always have that on hand either, but it always seems to come out okay.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- bread, bowls (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- additional chopped onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Transfer to a 5 quart slow cooker. Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, water and seasonings.
- Cover and let cook on low for 4-5 hours. Discard bay leaves. If desired, serve in bread bowls and garnish with cheese and onion.
- Stovetop directions.
- If you like to make chili on the stovetop use a dutch oven instead of a skillt to cook the beef, onion and garlic. Add the ingredients to the dutch oven instead of the slow cooker. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves.