Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 mins
Spices can be adjusted to personal tastes
- 1 quart water
- 2 lbs ground chuck, crumbled
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 10 peppercorns, ground
- 8 whole allspice, ground
- 8 whole cloves, ground
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 ounce unsweetened chocolate, grated
- Bring water to boil in a 6 quart pot.
- Add the ground chuck.
- Stir until separated and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add onions, garlic, tomato sauce, cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce, stirring to mix well.
- Add peppercorns, allspice, cloves, bay leaf, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and grated unsweetened chocolate.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
- Cool uncovered and refrigerate overnight.
- Skim all or most of the fat.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Reheat and serve.