Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 hrs
The salsa goes really well with the chicken. If you find cutting up the whole chicken is too much work, you can always use chicken quarters or drumsticks, as long as they are with skin. Cooking time includes overnight marinating!
- Heat a dry skillet, add the first four ingredients and toast stirring continuously for about 30 seconds.
- Take of the heat and set aside to cool, crush using a pestle and mortar.
- Add juice of 1 lime and olive oil and mix well.
- Place the chicken breast side down onto a chopping board and cut along both sides of the backbone to remove it.
- Remove the wishbone.
- Turn the chicken over and flatten it out by pressing down the breast bone firmly.
- If you don't want to do this you can either ask your butcher to do it for you or use chicken pieces.
- Insert a long metal skewer diagonally through the leg and wing on either side to keep the chicken flat.
- Slash the thickest part of the chickens thigh with a sharp knife and place it into a roasting tin.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken and the turn it over.
- Cover the tin with aluminium foil and keep refrigerated overnight.
- Grill under a preheated grill for approx 45 minutes or until juices run clear and chicken turns golden brown.
- Just before placing the chicken under the grill, mix the juice of the second lime with the pineapple, onion, chilie and cilantro.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, and the remove from fridge to allow it to reach room temperature before serving.
- Serve with the grilled chicken.
my family enjoyed the chicken, i loved the salsa. i think it would compliment pork and fish very well too. i used a small jalapeno, fresh fruit and it was very tasty, very colorful summer dish