Recipe by Umberle
I pulled this from the June '07 Cooking light. The directions as printed were somewhat lacking in information and suggested doing things in a bizarre order, so I've done some streamlining and recasting to make it more usable. It's quite simple despite the number of steps I've included for clarification. The only hot spices in this are the ground ginger and red pepper and as written make for a decently spicy dish. So if you prefer milder dishes I would suggest cutting back on the red pepper first and then the ginger.
Top Review by Darkhunter
Umberle, I just gotta say this was wonderful (and you were definately correct about the smoke!). And what goes best with such a recipe? Why,couscous of course. My prep time was a little longer than the 5 minutes you indicated, because I always clean as much of the fat from the thighs as I can, leaving only a small amount to keep the thighs moist. Otherwise, the recipe was spot on. Thanks, Umberle, for the posting.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, chopped cilantro, garlic, and yogurt in a bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 tsp salt, cumin, corianger, turmeric, ginger, and red pepper in a bowl. Stir well to combine.
- rub spice mixture into both sides of each chicken thigh.
- Heat a large heave skillet over medium heat. (If you have an exhaust hood, turn it on, otherwise crack a window since the next step will create a little smoke if you have to do it in mulitple batches.).
- Coat skillet with cooking spray. Add chicken to skillet, smooth side down, and in a single layer (do multiple batches if neccessary). Cook 5 minutes without moving the chicken pieces. (it is important not to move them so that they will form a tasty crust.).
- Flip the chicken and cook another 4 to 6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with yogurt sauce.