Combine and Saute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 chicken thighs
Add and Saute
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
Add and simmer
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup canned chick-peas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 bay leaf
- sauteed chicken thigh
- fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine spices and salt in a dish, then rub over chicken thighs; let stand about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium; add chicken, skin side down, and saute until browned on both sides, 10 minutes total. Remove chicken and pour off all but 1 T drippings.
- Add onion and saute 3 minutes.
- Stir in ginger, garlic, pepper flakes and cinnamon stick; cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Deglaze with wine and tomato paste, stirring to combine. Simmer until liquid evaporates.
- Add tomatoes, broth, chickpeas, olives, honey, lemon and bay leaf; stir to combine.
- Arrange reserved chicken on top cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced, 20-25 minutes.
- Finish with parsley and salt just before serving.
- Serve with pita bread.